After some ongoing reading of the Image evolution page mentioned above, which is constantly updated, I found a link to the original creator of this idea. When I found some links inside the comments to his article which led me to the c# source code of the original evolver written by Roger Alsing I had already written my own little implementation of it.
Results, Results, Results
I have done multiple runs over different images on my computer to create a evolving vectorization of them. I really like the outcome and I am eager to share the results with you.
All of the following pictures are a combination of 50 polygons with 6 vertices each, all with different transparency values and colors.
The number displayed below each picture represents the number of mutations generated and analysed at this point of evolution.
Because all other implementations of this idea used the Mona Lisa for testing it was my first test subject, too.
I wanted to see what happens if a portrait picture with more colors is used as source. Therefore I chose the picture of myself.
Lets take a look at what happens to a simple tux logo which is approximated.
If you have been inspired by the results above you can try to run some of your own pictures through this algorithm. The c source can be obtained from its subversion repository at:
I would be happy if you could show me your great looking creations with it. Just write a comment or mail me if you have done some work you would like to show to the world.